Our simple aim is for you to enjoy your experience of the outdoors here in Moray. We want you to do this safely whether you are strolling beside the river Spey, bird watching on Dava Moor, mountain biking in Glen Avon, exploring the Moray Firth coastline, or whatever event you choose.
The main way we seek to ensure your safety and enjoyment is by asking event providers to describe their event in a clear and accurate way that allows you to make an informed decision as to whether the event matches your skills and interests. Please do read the event information provided and where you are in doubt seek clarification. As part of this you will be asked, when you book, to confirm that you have read the Booking Terms and Conditions. As well as covering bookings and refunds, this includes a key paragraph reproduced here:
Basis of participation
The organisers of the Moray Walking and Outdoor Festival recognise that outdoor activities carry a risk of personal injury dependent in part upon the skills of participants and prevailing weather conditions, both outwith the control of the organisers. Those taking part do so at their own risk and are responsible for their own actions. In broad terms the basis of participation is similar to that of individuals joining in club activities. A key difference is that Festival events often take participants on unfamiliar routes and it is the event leader who is responsible for route finding.
A minority of events, usually offered by commercial providers, use fully trained instructors who have an addititional responsibility for the overall safety of participants
In common with others we try and help you make an initial judgement about whether your fitness is sufficient for any event by using an event grading system. This is included in the details under every event, and also reproduced here. This is important because the festival seeks to provide events of suitable for a wide range of abilities and interests. We are delighted if someone who does not normally venture out into the countryside is tempted to join one of our shorter strolls. Enjoyment, interest and good memories are our aims.
Event Grading System
This is intended as a rough indication only. Every effort has been made to make the level of activity and physical effort involved as clear as possible within the event description. If in doubt contact the event provider.
- Easy: A gentle activity over level easy terrain (or equivalent) lasting up to 2 hours. All ages and abilities welcome; time to stop, chat and stare.
- Easy+: An activity over generally level terrain (or equivalent). Likely to include some slight inclines or similar extra effort. Usually lasting up to 3 hours with rests, etc.
- Moderate: A more varied activity and/or varied terrain (or equivalent), involving some extra effort for part of it. Typically a short day activity.
- Moderate+: Typically a full day activity over varied terrain (or equivalent) requiring stamina and/or more sustained effort. Short breaks for refreshments, lunch, etc
- Challenging: A range of activities with something ‘special’ that will appeal to the more experienced outdoor person. See event entry for details.